She was President of the Association of Headmistresses of the Independent Schools of New South Wales in 1939 and 1956. She was also a member of the council of the Teachers’ Guild of New South Wales from 1940-65, and was later made an honorary life member. From 1941-64 she served on the committee of the Teachers’ Central Registry. From 1950-52 she was honorary secretary of the Headmistresses’ Association of Australia. In 1972 she was appointed MBE. That year also saw the publication of a history of the Kambala School that she compiled for the Old Girls’ Union.
The Hawthorne Garden, made in her honor, was opened at the Kambala School on May 6, 1967.